15 January 2015 - 06:42
Canadian extremists paying the price, with six reported dead over the past two months

Fighting in Syria is beginning to take a toll on Canadian extremists, with six now being reported dead over the past two months, most recently a Muslim convert from Ottawa who appeared in a menacing ISIS propaganda video.

Fighting in Syria is beginning to take a toll on Canadian extremists, with six now being reported dead over the past two months, most recently a Muslim convert from Ottawa who appeared in a menacing ISIS propaganda video.

File John Maguire's yearbook photo from the NGDHS Yearbook, 2005-2006.
Officials believe three Edmonton men, members of the same ethnic Somali family, died in November and two Calgary brothers were also killed. On Wednesday, a pro-ISIS Twitter account claimed John Maguire of Ottawa had also died.

“Any individual who decides to join the ISIS jihadists runs the risk of meeting their ultimate demise,” said Jean-Christophe deleRue, spokesman for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney’s spokesman. He declined to discuss specific cases.

Most are believed to have died in airstrikes in Syria. While Canada’s CF-18s have been attacking ISIS in Iraq, they have not ventured into Syria. But American warplanes have been bombing around Kobani, where all six men reportedly died.

Hamsa Kariye, an Edmonton construction worker who left his job at KBR Wabi in May 2013, and two relatives, are believed to have died in mid-November. The family declined to comment, saying it was a “private” matter.

Fighting in Syria is beginning to take a toll on Canadian extremists, with six now being reported dead over the past two months, most recently a Muslim convert from Ottawa who appeared in a menacing ISIS propaganda video.

File John Maguire's yearbook photo from the NGDHS Yearbook, 2005-2006.
Officials believe three Edmonton men, members of the same ethnic Somali family, died in November and two Calgary brothers were also killed. On Wednesday, a pro-ISIS Twitter account claimed John Maguire of Ottawa had also died.

“Any individual who decides to join the ISIS jihadists runs the risk of meeting their ultimate demise,” said Jean-Christophe deleRue, spokesman for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney’s spokesman. He declined to discuss specific cases.

Most are believed to have died in airstrikes in Syria. While Canada’s CF-18s have been attacking ISIS in Iraq, they have not ventured into Syria. But American warplanes have been bombing around Kobani, where all six men reportedly died.

Hamsa Kariye, an Edmonton construction worker who left his job at KBR Wabi in May 2013, and two relatives, are believed to have died in mid-November. The family declined to comment, saying it was a “private” matter.

The ISIS message has found little support in Canada. Although it has attracted dozens of recruits, as well as young women wanting to become jihadist brides, Canada’s major Muslim organizations have denounced the terror group.

But following deadly attacks in Canada, Australia and Paris, counter-terrorism officials are tracking hundreds of suspects both at home and abroad, amid concerns they may attempt to kill more Canadians.

Officials have not yet authenticated the death notice concerning Mr. Maguire. Last summer, pro-ISIS Twitter accounts had claimed that Farah Shirdon of Calgary had died, but he later surfaced weeks later, saying he was only injured.

The Twitter user who claimed Mr. Maguire was dead said he had been killed alongside a notorious Dagestani jihadist who appeared this week in an ISIS video in which a child was shown executing two Russians.

/149

Tags